De Lier(ZH): reformed church or
Dom and Domkerk are names normally
given to cathedrals. However, in some regions in the west of The
Netherlands Dom means something like "spire-less tower".
The history of the church of De Lier
goes back to the 13th century. In 1245 the church was probably called St. Joris
and was much smaller than the current building. In its current form the
church dates from the mid-15th century. It has a three-aisled nave and a
long polygonal choir which is flanked by transept-like chapels. The
building of the tower at the front was plagued by problems, resulting in
sagging and leaning. The way the niches in the lower segment seem to "grow"
out of the ground indicate that the tower actually sank in the soil. The
first two segments of the tower lean towards the south, but the third
segment was built straight on top of the second. On top an onion-spire
was built, but it was lost when the church was destroyed by fire in
1572. After the fire the church was rebuilt. The choir was finished in
1590, the tower in 1630 and the nave in 1658.