Scheveningen (ZH): H. Antonius Abt (J.Th.J.
Cuypers & P. Cuypers jr., 1925-1927)
the Middle Ages Scheveningen had had a catholic parish, during the
Reformation a majority of the population had become protestant. At the
beginning of the 19th century, when the ban on catholicism had been
lifted, catholics formed about 7% of the population of the village,
about 300 people. A first temporary church was built in 1830, which in
1833 and 1834 could be replaced by a small church in neo-Classical
style. The fast growth of Scheveningen's population soon made the
church too small. Already in 18576-1857 a new church was built
elsewhere in the village, this time a single-aisled building in an
early neo-Gothic style. This building too fell victim to the growth of
the parish. In 1882 architect E.J. Margry added a three-aisled
extension with a new choir to the church, resulting in a hybrid
combination of early neo-Gothicism and neo-Gothicism. In 1925 it became
clear that this was a temporary solution too, and in that year Jos. and
Pierre Cuypers' design for a new church was accepted. Work began in
1926 and was completed the next year. It's a church in an
Expressionistic style which is a bit more moderate compared to several
churches the two architects had built together in the previous years.
The church has a wide central aisle that allows everyone a good view on
the altar and narrow side-aisles that are used for walking. The apse of
the choir is decorated by a mosaic by A. Molkenboer.