Click here to go to the main page

Brunssum (L)

Town and municipality in the south-east of Limburg. Until well into the 19th century Brunssum was a small village of little importance. In the first decades of the 20th century two coal-mines opened and several settlements for miners were built, after which Brunssum became a town with several Roman Catholic parishes. Part of Brunssum are the former villages Treebeek and Rumpen. 

Stad en gemeente in het zuid-oosten van Limburg. Tot ver in de 19e eeuw was Brunssum een klein dorpje van weinig belang. In de eerste decennia van de 20ste eeuw werden twee kolenmijnen geopend en werden er meerdere mijnwerkerskolonies gebouwd, waarna Brunssum uitgroeide tot een stad met een aantal rooms-katholieke parochies. Onderdeel van Brunssum zijn de voormalige dorpen Treebeek en Rumpen.

 

Brunssum

  

The St. Gregorius de Grote is the central church of Brunssum and was built in 1961-1963 to replace a previous building. This remarkable modern church was designed by German architect G. Bhm.

Location: Kerkstraat 125

De St. Gregorius de Grote is de centrale kerk van Brunssum en werd gebouwd in 1961-1963 ter vervanging van een oudere kerk. Deze opmerkelijke moderne kerk werd ontworpen door de Duitse architect G. Bhm. 

Locatie: Kerkstraat 125

 

 

The H. Familie is one of A.J.N. Boosten's last designs and was built in 1951-1952, when the architect had already died.

Location: Akerstraat 99

De H. Familie is een van de laatste ontwerpen van A.J.N. Boosten en werd gebouwd in 1951-1952, toen de architect al was overleden.

Location: Akerstraat 99

 

Municipal architect J.J. Drummen was obviously inspired by Boosten's work when he designed this church, the O.L. Vrouwe van Fatima. It dates from 1952-1953.

Location: Essenstraat 1

Gemeente-architect J.J. Drummen was duidelijk benvloed door het werk van Boosten toen hij deze kerk, de O.L. Vrouwe van Fatima ontwierp. Zij stamt ut 1952-1953.

Locatie: Essenstraat 1

 
Rumpen

In 1924-1925. in the former village of Rumpen, architect F.P.J. Peutz built his first church, the St. Vincentius Paulo, which shows influences of Berlagian Rationalism.

Location: Prins Hendriklaan 380

In 1924-1925 bouwde architect F.P.J. Peutz in het voormalige dorp Rumpen zijn eerste kerk, de St. Vincentius Paulo, die invloeden vertoont van het rationalistische werk van H.P. Berlage.

Locatie: Prins Hendriklaan 380

 
Treebeek

The St. Barbara was built in 1919-1920 and was designed in Traditionalist style by A.J. Kropholler. The original design included a tower which was not built. In 1951 the church was lengthened and given a new front, which obviously was also designed by Kropholler.

Location: Schildstraat 44 

De St. Barbara werd gebouwd in 1919-1920 en is ontworpen in traditionalistische stijl door A.J. Kropholler. Het originele ontwerp voorzag in een toren die echter niet is gebouwd. In 1951 werd de kerk verlengd en kreeg het een nieuwe voorgevel, die duidelijk ook is ontworpen door Kropholler. 

Locatie: Schildstraat 44 

 


Behind the St. Barbara stands this small chapel of Mary, modelled after the chapel in Banneux, Belgium.

Location: Schildstraat 44

Achter de St. Barbara staat deze Mariakapel, een kopie van de kapel in Banneux, Belgi.

Locatie: Schildstraat 44

Back to the Province of Limburg