Click here to go to the main page
Oosterhout municipality / Gemeente Oosterhout (NB)

Oosterhout is a town and a municipality in the western half of Noord-Brabant, east of Breda. Oosterhout was granted town status in 1809. The municipality also includes the villages Den Hout, Oosteind and Dorst.
 
Oosterhout is een stad en een gemeente in de westelijke helft van Noord-Brabant, gelegen ten oosten van Breda. Oosterhout kreeg in 1809 stadsrechten. De gemeente omvat tevens de dorpen Den Hout, Oosteind en Dorst.
 

Oosterhout

The St. Jan is Oosterhout's oldest church. It has an unfinished tower that was intended to be a brick copy of the one of the Great Church in nearby Breda. Much of the rest of the church was drastically altered during a 'restoration' by P.J.H. Cuypers in 1880-1883, when among other things the neo-Gothic side-aisles were added.

Location: Markt

De St. Jan is de oudste kerk van Oosterhout. De onvoltooide toren was bedoeld als een ​​bakstenen kopie van de toren van de Grote Kerk in het nabijgelegen Breda. Een groot deel van de rest van de kerk werd drastisch veranderd tijdens een 'restauratie' door P.J.H. Cuypers in 1880-1883, waarbij onder andere de neogotische zijbeuken werden toegevoegd.

Locatie: Markt  

 

 

 

 

Since 1648 the St. Jan had been in the posession of the protestant minority. But in 1809 king Lodewijk Napoleon visited Oosterhout and returned the church to its original owners. The protestants were given this new Reformed church in neo-classical style instead. It was designed by H. Huysers.

Location: Rulstraat 6

Vanaf 1648 was de St. Jan in het bezit van de protestantse minderheid geweest. Maar in 1809 bracht koning Lodewijk Napoleon een bezoek aan Oosterhout en gaf hij de kerk terug aan de oorspronkelijke eigenaars. De protestanten kregen ter compensatie deze nieuwe hervormde kerk in neoclassicistische stijl, ontworpen door H. Huysers.

Locatie: Rulstraat 6 

 

 

 

 

The front of the former H. Hartkerk ('Sacred Heart church') is the only remaining part of this Neo-Gothic church, which was designed by P.J. van Genk and built in 1882. The front now serves as a chapel and a gate to a small square.

Location: Arendstraat 35

De voorzijde van de voormalige H. Hartkerk is het enige resterende deel van deze neogotische kerk die werd ontworpen door P.J. van Genk en in 1882 werd gebouwd. De voorzijde dient nu als een kapel en als poort naar een pleintje.

Locatie: Arendstraat 35

 


 

The Neo-Gothic St. Antonius van Padua is one of P.J.H. Cuypers' last designs. The tower, which was originally as high as the nave, was heightened in 1959 by local architect Oomen.

Location: Sint Vincentiusstraat 113

De neogotische St. Antonius van Padua is een van P.J.H. Cuypers' laatste ontwerpen. De toren, die oorspronkelijk net zo hoog was als het schip, werd in 1959 verhoogd door de plaatselijke architect Oomen.

Locatie: Sint Vincentiusstraat 113

 

 

 

The church of the benedictine abbey St. Paulusabdij was built in 1954-1955 and was designed by J.H. Sluijmer. The abbey itself dates from 1906-1910 and was designed by Dom Bellot.

Location: Hoogstraat 80

De kerk van de benedictijner St. Paulusabdij werd gebouwd in 1954-1955 en is ontworpen door J.H. Sluijmer. De abdij zelf dateert uit 1906-1910 en werd ontworpen door Dom Bellot.

Locatie: Hoogstraat 80

 

 

 

The O.L. Vrouw Rozenkrans or Mariakerk was built in 1953 in the traditionalist style of the Bossche School. The architect was B.P.J. Oomen.

Location: Wilhelminastraat 63

De O.L. Vrouw Rozenkrans of Mariakerk is gebouwd in 1953 in de traditionalistische stijl van de Bossche School. De architect was B.P.J. Oomen.

Locatie: Wilhelminastraat 63


Den Hout

The St. Cornelius is one of architect P.J. van Genk's earliest designs. The tower has natural stone decorative elements, which was unusual for The Netherlands but became Van Genk's trademark.

Location: Houtse Heuvel 10

De St. Cornelius is een van de vroegste ontwerpen van architect P.J. van Genk. De toren is  versierd met stukken natuursteen, iets wat ongebruikelijk was voor Nederland maar het handelsmerk van Van Genk zou zijn.

Locatie: Houtse Heuvel 10


Oosteind

 

The St. Johannes de Doper was built in 1925, but it has a tower that belonged to a previous church designed by P. Soffers and built in 1852-1853.

Location: Provincialeweg 86

De St. Johannes de Doper werd gebouwd in 1925, maar heeft een toren van de voorganger die was ontworpen door P. Soffers en werd gebouwd in 1852-1853.

Locatie: Provincialeweg 86 


Dorst

 

 

The St. Marculphus is a Neo-Gothic pseudo-basilica designed by J.Th.J. Cuypers and built in 1911-1912.

Location: Baarschotsestraat 87

De St. Marculphus is een neogotische pseudobasiliek, ontworpen door J.Th.J. Cuypers en gebouwd in 1911-1912.

Locatie: Baarschotsestraat 87

 
Back to the Province of Noord-Brabant