Click here to go to the main page

Lutjebroek (NH): H. Nicolaas (P.J.H. Cuypers, 1876-1877, J.Th.J. Cuypers & P. Cuypers jr., 1924-1925)

 

 

 

The H. Nicolaas is a three-aisled pseudo-basilica in neo-Gothic style. It was built in two seperate stages. In 1875 P.J.H. Cuypers designed a centralizing church, consisting of a choir, a short transept and a short nave grouped around a big octagonal crossing. Basically, the concept was a much simplified version of that of the Vondelkerk in Amsterdam. Already during construction the plans were changed and the nave and transept were lengthened and a tower was added. Later Cuypers added two rectangular chapels which were built diagonally in the corners between nave and transept. Unusual for Cuypers, the crossing is covered by a plaster stellar-vault, a clear deviation of his principle of honest use of  materials.
In 1924-1925 the church was enlarged by J.Th.J. Cuypers & P. Cuypers jr., Cuypers' son and grandson respectively. The transept was lengthed and chapels were added to either of its sides. 
At the facade of the northern transept arm is a monument for local hero P.J. Jong, who fought as a zouave for the pope and died in 1867 at Montelibretti. This monument was made at one of Cuypers' workshops.

 

 

 

 

 

\

 

 

 
 

Back to Churches in the province of Noord-Holland

Back to Stede Broec

Back to P.J.H. Cuypers