Balderik founded a stone
church on this location in the 10th century, which probably replaced a
wooden church. In ca. 1180 a new church was built, a cruciform basilica
with stone vaults and a round choir. This church is often regarded as
an example of the Utrecht Romanesque
group of churches. A tower in a Romano-Gothic style was added in ca.
In ca. 1450 work started to rebuilt the church in a three-aisled Gothic
hall-church. First a new choir was added. About thirty years later a
new southern side-aisle replaced the original one and incorporated the
southern transept-arm which got a typical double window. The tower was
heightened with a fifth segment, while a sacristy was added to the
north side, for which the apse of the transept-arm had to go.
Fortunately work never proceeded any further and the north side of the
church is, apart from the choir, still mostly Romanesque, complete with
the typical small windows, blind niches and the absence of buttresses.
In the late 19th century Jos.
started an extensive restoration. Among other things he reconstructed
the apse of the northern transept-arm that had been removed when the
sacristy was built.