Click here to go to the main page
Biggekerke (Z): reformed church



The church of Biggekerke was founded before 1247 as a daughter church of the Westmonsterkerk in Middelburg. The current Gothic church is younger than that. The tower and the three-sided choir were built in the 14th century. The tower is quite similar in style to that of nearby Meliskerke, with similar sounding holes and heavy buttresses. Each tower has a big stair-turret on one of its sides, but these are distinctively different.
The choir survived the Reformation and the protestant use of the church after that, unlike the choirs of most other churches in this region.
The single-aisled nave was possibly built in the early-17th century as a reconstruction of its predecessor which is thought to have originated from the 15th century. In 1957 the church was restored and a new consistory added to the south side.






Back to Churches in the province of Zeeland

Back to Veere municipality