(Z): reformed church
church of Koudekerke was preceded by several churches, the first of
which according to some might have been founded by the missionary
Willibrord in c. 690. There is no evidence for this, and the first
known church is dated c. 1150. This was a small wooden church which in
the 14th and 15th century was replaced by a bigger Gothic church.
Little is known about this church, but a fragment of a painting from c.
it with a relatively low nave, a higher choir and a big tower wth a
The church was damaged during the fightings connected with the siege of
Middelburg in 1572. The choir was demolished and the rest of the church
was repaired to become a protestant church. In 1612 the church was in a
bad state and had become too small. Two years later the building
underwent the first of a series of renovations which were completed by
1650 and which left to nothing of the old church standing.
Not unusual for this period, the church was rebuilt in a style that
still rooted in Gothic, with pointed windows and stepped buttresses.
The parts above the walls were quite different however, with its tall
hip roof and its open wooden tower at its center. A drawing from c.
1790 shows a small vestry at the eastern side which in 1827 was
enlarged. In 1836 the church itself was renovated once more and the
vestry rebuilt into a small 'palace' in early Neo-Gothic style. The
church was probably plastered. Pictures made after 1900 show the walls
covered with creepers which were removed during a restoration in
1962-1964, and so was the plaster. Plans were made in 2008 to replace
the Neo-Gothic vestry by a moderrn building but thankfully the
execution of this plan was prevented by heritage protection