(ZH): reformed church or Groene Kerk
is located in one of the earliest inhabited parts of the Holland
region. It is known that a church stood here in the 9th century, but it
was possibly founded already in the 8th century
missionary Willibrord. Anyway, it was one of the first
the Holland region.
the end of the Middle Ages the church was a one-aisled
church in Gothic style with a Romanesque tower and a long, straight
choir. In 1574, during the
Eighty Years War, it was largely destroyed, while the tower was left
mostly unharmed. Later, the ruins became protestant property. First, in
ca. 1600, the
nave was rebuild, in 1662-1663 followed by the
transept and choir. It appears that the rebuild church looked
a lot like it did before the war, only the windows were now rounded
instead of pointed.
Part of the Romanesque tower collapsed in 1824. In 1830 the rest of it
was demolished. During a restoration in 1954-1956 a portal was built in
its place. In the same period the coat of ivy, to which the church owed
its nickname Groene Kerk ('green church'), was removed.