(Ov): Grote Kerk
Great Church of Almelo is
the successor of the chapel of the local castle. This chapel was
founded in 1236 and became a parish church in 1296, consecrated to Sts.
Georgius and Mauritius. The oldest part of the current church is the
choir, which was built in Gothic style in 1493 using Bentheimer
stone. During that time the entire church was replaced in
style. However, the church was yet again replaced in 1738,
it had fallen into decay after having been in the hands of the
protestants for over a 100 years. The Gothic nave and tower were
demolished. Stones of the old church were possibly used for the corners
of the new church, which was otherwise mostly built of bricks. The new
church was built in Classical style and has a centralizing ground-plan
in the shape of a Greek cross, as common for protestant churches of
that time. The spire was added in 1777.