Giessenburg (ZH): reformed church
Until 1957 this village was named
Giessen-Nieuwkerk ('Giessen New Church'). The 'Nieuwkerk' in that name clearly
emphasized the difference with nearby Giessen-Oudkerk ('Giessen Old Church').
This new church obviously belonged to the second parish in Giessen.
The church is not the same though. In 1877 the nave was demolished and
replaced by the current one. The old nave was originally probably quite small
and later heightened to the same height as the choir. The choir and tower are
almost equally old, and date from ca. 1450. While the choir is quite big
the tower is of a rather modest size.
In 1970-1971 the church was restored. Among the results are the reconstructed windows of the choir.