Click here to go to the main page

Maasland (ZH): reformed church or Maria Magdalenakerk

Maasland is first mentioned in the year 866. The village is known to have had a church before the year 1164; in that year the church, which stood on the bank of the river Maas, was lost by a flood. A new church was built on the present location, where in that time a neglected castle stood. In 1241 the count of Holland handed the church to the Teutonic knights, who named it Maria Magdalena. That was not the current late-Gothic church. The oldest part of today's church is the tower, which was built in the first half of the 15th century. In the second half of that century, the nave and the choir were build. 
In ca. 1500 a side-aisle was added to the north side of the nave, as well as a baptistry and a sacristy to the south side. The side-aisle is about the same size as the nave and has a choir of its own. In 1945 the church burned down, leaving only the tower and the walls standing. It was restored between 1947 and 1956.













Back to Churches in the province of Zuid-Holland

Back to Midden-Delfland municipality