Click here to go to the main page
Oss municipality / Gemeente Oss (NB)

Oss is a town in the north of the Noord-Brabant province. It's the capital of a large municipality, which also includes the territories of the former municipalities of Megen, Haren en Macharen and Berghem (both since 1994), Ravenstein (since 2003) and Lith (since 2011).
The town of Oss was built in an area that was populated as early as 2000 B.C.. In 1399 Oss was granted city rights. Nothing of the medieval town remains. It's a largely industrial town with a modernised city centre. 
An especially interesting part of the municipality are the town of Ravenstein and its surrounding villages. Named Land van Ravenstein, this region until 1794 formed an autonomous region which was in possession of the dukes of Kleve (now in Germany). After the Reformation, this region became a catholic enclave in an area that was ruled by protestants otherwise. 

Oss is een stad in het noorden van de provincie Noord-Brabant. Het is de hoofdstad van een grote gemeente die ook het grondgebied van de voormalige gemeenten Megen, Haren en Macharen en Berghem (beide sinds 1994), Ravenstein (sinds 2003) en Lith (sinds 2011) omvat.
De stad Oss is gebouwd in een gebied dat reeds in 2000 v. Chr. werd bewoond. In 1399 kreeg Oss stadsrechten. Van de middeleeuwse stad resteert niets. Tegenwoordig is Oss een grotendeels industriële stad met een modern centrum.
Een bijzonder interessant onderdeel van de gemeente is het stadje Ravenstein en de omliggende dorpen. Als het Land van Ravenstein vormde deze regio tot 1794 een autonoom gebied dat behoorde tot het bezit van de hertogen van Kleef (nu in Duitsland). Na de Reformatie vormde dit gebied een katholieke enclave in een gebied dat voor de rest door protestanten werd overheerst.



The main church of Oss is the O.L. Vrouw Onbevlekt Ontvangen, also known locally as Grote Kerk ('Great Church'). The Neo-Gothic basilica was designed by H.J. van Tulder and built in 1857-1859.

Location: Kerkstraat 15

De belangrijkste kerk van Oss is de O.L. Vrouw Onbevlekt Ontvangen, plaatselijk ook bekend als Grote Kerk. Deze neogotische basiliek werd ontworpen door H.J. van Tulder en gebouwd in 1857-1859.

Locatie: Kerkstraat 15



In 1921 the Heilig Hartkerk ('Sacred Heart church') was built, the second parish of Oss. This late Neo-Gothic basilica was designed by W.Th. van Aalst.

Location: Kromstraat 107

In 1921 werd de Heilig Hartkerk gebouwd, de tweede parochiekerk van Oss. Deze laat-neogotische kruisbasiliek werd ontworpen door W.Th. van Aalst.

Locatie: Kromstraat 107



Just east of the centre is a third catholic church, called the Heilige Geest. Orginally it was named St. Gerardus Majella, and locally it's also called Visserskerk. It was designed in Traditionalist style by E. Cuypers and built in 1924-1925. The original choir was replaced by a large extension designed by J. de Reus, in 1958-1959. In 1997 this part was demolished. The church is without a choir since.

Berghemseweg 4

Net buiten het centrum staat nog een katholieke kerk, de Heilige Geestkerk. Oorspronkelijk heette deze kerk St. Gerardus Majella, en plaatselijk wordt zij ook wel Visserskerk genoemd. De kerk werd in traditionalistische stijl ontworpen door E. Cuypers en gebouwd in 1924-1925. Het oorspronkelijke koor werd in 1958-1959 vervangen door een grote uitbreiding, ontworpen door J. de Reus. In 1997 werd dit deel gesloopt. Sindsdien heeft de kerk geen koor meer.

Berghemseweg 4




The Gereformeerde Kerk dates from 1950. The Traditionalist-style building was designed by B.W. Plooij and is now a house.

Location: Burgemeester van den Elzenlaan 22

De Gereformeerde Kerk stamt uit 1950. Het gebouw in traditionalistische stijl werd ontworpen door B.W. Plooij en is tegenwoordig een woning.

Locatie: Burgemeester van den Elzenlaan 22




The St. Willibrord in Berghem is a cruciform basilica in neo-Gothic style, designed by W.Th. van Aalst and built in 1900-1903. It replaced a Gothic church, the tower of which, although modified, was incorporated.

Location: St.Willibrordusstraat 40

De St. Willibrord in Berghem is een kruisbasiliek in neogotische stijl, ontworpen door W.Th. van Aalst en gebouwd in 1900-1903. Het verving een gotische kerk, waarvan de toren in el gewijzigde vorm is behouden.

Locatie: St.Willibrordusstraat 40




The St. Annakapel (St. Anne's Chapel) has its origins in a 16th-century chapel which in the 17th century served as a border church for catholics from Oss. The chapel was substantially rebuilt in 1936.

Location: Koolwijksestraat 5

De St. Annakapel heeft haar oorsprong in een 16e-eeuwse kapel die in de 17e eeuw dienst deed als grenskerk voor katholieken uit Oss. De kapel werd in 1936 ingrijpend verbouwd.

Locatie: Koolwijksestraat 5




The St. Sebastianus is a basilica with a 14th-century tower and a 15th-century choir, both in Gothic style, with a Neo-Gothic nave built in 1907, designed by C. Franssen.

Location: 2 Rogstraat

De St. Sebastianus is een basiliek met een 14e eeuwse toren en een 15e eeuws koor, beiden in gotische stijl, alsmede een neogotisch schip uit 1907, ontwerpen door C. Franssen.

Locatie: Rogstraat 2





C. Franssen also designed the St. Lambertus, a one-aisled cruciform church in a combination of Neo-Gothic and Neo-Romanesque styles built in 1911-1912, replacing a 17th-century church with a medieval tower.

Location: Hamstraat 1

C. Franssen ontwierp ook de St. Lambertus, een eenbeukige kruiskerk in een combinatie van neogotische en neoromaanse stijl, gebouwd in 1911-1912 ter vervanging van een 17e-eeuwse kerk met een middeleeuwse toren.

Locatie: Hamstraat 1





The St. Antonius Abt is a one-aisled  church in early Neo-Gothic style with a remarkable cast iron spire. The church was designed by W. J. van Vogelpoel and was built in 1854-1855.

Location: Kerkstraat 20

De St. Antonius Abt is een eenbeukige kerk in vroeg-neogotische stijl met een bijzondere gietijzeren torenspits. De kerk werd ontworpen door W.J. van Vogelpoel en werd gebouwd in 1854-1855.

Locatie: Kerkstraat 20




The St. Victor comprises of a 13th-century tower, a one-aisled nave from 1821 with a three-sided choir and a sacristy which was addded around 1910. The nave features influences from the Renaissance, especially at the windows.

Location: Maasdijk 19

De St. Victor bestaat uit een 13e eeuwse toren, een uit 1821 stammend eenbeukig schip met driezijdig koor en een rond 1910 toergevoegde sacristie. Bij het schip zijn invloeden uit de renaissance toegepast, met name bij de vensters.

Locatie: Maasdijk 19




Ravenstein's autonomy made it one of only a few areas in the Netherlands were Roman Catholicism was not prohibited. The St. Luciakerk is a church in southern-German Baroque style, built in 1735.

Location: Sint Luciastraat 1

De autonomie van Ravenstein maakte het tot een van de weinige gebieden in Nederland waar de katholieke kerk niet was verboden. De St. Luciakerk is een kerk in Zuid-Duitse barokstijl, gebouwd in 1735.

Locatie: Sint Luciastraat 1




The reformed church dates from the period when the Republic was allowed to station a garrison in the town. The church, designed by Derick Bijl and built in 1641, was originally the garrison church. Note that the church, although not really Gothic, was designed in the Gothic tradition.

Location: Servetstraat 1

De hervormde kerk dateert uit de periode toen de Republiek een garnizoen mocht legeren in de stad. De kerk, ontworpen door Derick Bijl en gebouwd in 1641, was oorspronkelijk garnizoenskerk. Merk op dat de kerk, hoewel niet echt gotisch, werd ontworpen in de gotische traditie.

Locatie: Servetstraat 1




Nowadays a shop, this building was built as a congregation chapel in the 1840's.  It's a typical example of early neo-Gothic.

Location: Marktstraat 13

Tegenwoordig een winkel, werd dit gebouw in de jaren 1840 gebouwd als een congregatiekapel. Het is een typisch voorbeeld van vroege neogotiek.

Locatie: Marktstraat 13



The St. Josephkapel is the chapel of the former Jesuite monastery. It was built in c. 1875 and was originally hidden from view by the monastery. When the monastery was demolished in 1900, the current facade was added to the chapel.

Location: Sint Luciastraat 5

De St. Josephkapel is de kapel van het voormalige jezuïetenklooster. De kapel werd gebouwd in ca. 1875 en was oorspronkelijk aan het zicht onttrokken door het klooster. Toen het klooster in 1900 werd afgebroken kreeg de kapel de huidige voorgevel.

Locatie: Sint Luciastraat 5


The St. Jan is a small Neo-Gothic church from 1869. It replaced a medieval church of which the 11th-century Romanesque tower remains, albeit heightened with one storey. This tower is the oldest in the province of Noord-Brabant.

Location: Sint Jansstraat 2

De St. Jan is een kleine neogotische kerk uit 1869. Het gebouw verving een middeleeuwse kerk waarvan de 11e-eeuwse romaanse toren is behouden, zij het verhoogd met een verdieping. Deze toren is de oudste in de provincie Noord-Brabant.

Locatie: Sint Jansstraat 2




The St. Willibrordus is a Neo-Gothic church from 1857-1860 and one of P.J.H. Cuypers' early designs. The 15th-century tower of a predecessor was preserved, but in 1890 restored in neo-Gothic style by the same architect.

Location: Maasdijk 69

De St. Willibrordus is een neogotische kerk uit 1857-1860 en is een vroeg ontwerpen van P.J.H. Cuypers. De 15e-eeuwse toren van de voorganger werd behouden, maar werd in 1890 neogotische stijl gerestaureerd door dezelfde architect.

Locatie: Maasdijk 69


The former reformed church of Dieden is a picturesque but rather neglected Romanesque building. Unlike other villages of the Ravenstein municipality, Dieden never was part of the catholic enclave but fell under the jurisdiction of the province of Gelderland instead, which explains why the medieval church became a protestant one. 

Location: Maasdijk 79

De voormalige hervormde kerk van Dieden is een schilderachtig, maar nogal verwaarloosd romaans gebouw. In tegenstelling tot de andere dorpen van de voormalige gemeente Ravenstein, maakte Dieden nooit deel uit van de katholieke enclave, maar viel onder de jurisdictie van de provincie Gelderland, hetgeen verklaart waarom de middeleeuwse kerk protestants bleef.

Locatie: Maasdijk 79



The former St. Michaël in Dennenburg is a church with a Romanesque tower and nave and a Gothic choir.

Location: Hoogstraat 36

De voormalige St. Michaël in Dennenburg is een kerk met een romaanse toren en schip en een gotisch koor.

Locatie: Hoogstraat 36


Deursen's location in the autonomous Land van Ravenstein guaranteed religious freedom to the catholics. This small octagonal chapel, named H.H. Antonius en Rochuskapel and built in 1745-1747, attracted many pilgrims from outside the region.

Location: Rondestraat 26

De ligging van Deursen in de autonome Land van Ravenstein garandeerde vrijheid van godsdienst  voor de katholieken. Deze kleine achthoekige kapel, genaamd H.H. Antonius en Rochuskapel en gebouwd in 1745-1747, trok vele pelgrims van buiten de regio.

Locatie: Rondestraat 26




The St. Vincentiuskerk is a Neo-Gothic church designed by C. van Dijk and built in 1874-1877.

Location: Langstraat 16

De St. Vincentiuskerk is een neogotische kerk, ontworpen door C. van Dijk en gebouwd in 1874-1877.

Locatie: Langstraat 16


The St. Lambertus of Haren is a neo-Gothic basilica built in 1867-1868. It was designed by H.J. van Tulder and replaced a Romanesque church. 

Location: Kerkplein 7

De St. Lambertus van Haren is een neogotische basiliek, gebouwd in 1867-1868. De kerk werd ontworpen door H.J .van Tulder en verving een romaanse kerk.

Locatie: Kerkplein 7


Back to the Province of Noord-Brabant