\
Architects: J.H.H. van Groenendael (1868-1942)

Joseph Henri Hubert van Groenendael, who is also referred to as Hubert van Groenendael and sometimes as Jos. van Groenendael, was born in Nunhem on December the 28th 1868. He was the fourth son of carpenter and builder J. van Groenendael whose firm was first based in Nunhem, later Den Haag and ultimately Hilversum. While his two oldest brothers Jean and Jacques learned the skills of construction and architecture in the firm of their father, Hubert became a student at P.J.H. Cuypers' office in Roermond and was, among other projects, involved in the construction of the Maria Magdalenakerk in Amsterdam in 1889-1891. In 1898 he moved to Vught, where he founded the first patronage of Noord-Brabant, a catholic youth center, part of which was a drawing school where he taught the local youth free of charge. In 1908 he moved to nearby 's-Hertogenbosch, and in 1916 finally settled in Maastricht. Later in his career Van Groenendael cooperated with his son H.F.M. (Hubert jr.) van Groenendael.

Until 1913 Van Groenendael mostly worked in Noord-Brabant, after that mostly in Limburg. He has built ca. 33 churches, plus various monasteries and convents, hospitals and schools. Although later in his career he increasingly worked in a neo-Romanesque style, he never completely abandoned neo-Gothic. In Noord-Brabant he mostly worked in brick, while in Limburg he also used natural stone. In 1936 the pope knighted Van Groenendael with the Order of St. Sylvester for his social work for the catholic community.

Van Groenendael's work is often confused with that of his older brothers J.H. (Jean) van Groenendael (1863-1919, office in Amsterdam) and N.J.H. (Jacques) van Groenendael (1864-1932, office first in Hilversum, later in Breda), who both often worked in a very similar neo-Gothic style. Many of the other brothers' works are often attributed to J.H.H. van Groenendael, even in official publications. Due to the confusion, the following list of J.H.H. van Groenendael's work, emphasizing on his religious buildings, has to be incomplete and may contain a few errors.   

 

1892-1894 Nunhem (L): church St. Servatius

Aisleless church in neo-Gothic style, incorporating the tower of its predecessor. Hubert made the plans for this church on behalf of his father, who largely financed the construction himself.

 

1901-1903 Helvoirt (NB): church St. Nicolaas

 

 

 

 

Three-aisled cruciform basilican church inspired by Lower Rhine Gothic. Often regarded as Van Groenendael's best work.


1903-1904 Meijel (L): church St. Nicolaas

Big cruciform basilica in neo-Gothic style. Designed in conjunction with his father J. van Groenendael.
 
1904 Maren (NB): church St. Lambertus

Cruciform basilica in neo-Gothic style. Tower probably never more than half finished. Destroyed in 1944.

 

1904-1906 Rijen (NB): church H. Maria-Magdalena

 

 

 

 

Neo-Gothic three-aisled basilican cruciform church, very similar to the church in Helvoirt.

 
1905 Venray (L): chapel st. Jozef convent

Chapel in combined neo-Gothic and neo-Romanesque styles.
 

1906-1907 Dongen (NB): church St. Joseph

 

 

Three-aisled cruciform neo-Gothic church. In 1955-1956 a new western part was built. Demolished in 2009.

 

1907-1909 Mariaheide (NB): church O.L. Vrouw van Goeden Raad

 

 

 

 

Late neo-Gothic cruciform basilican church. Tower and front finished 1932.

 

1908-1910 Sint-Michielsgestel (NB): Catholic institute for deaf children

 

 

 

Big monastery-like complex in neo-Gothic style with elements of Jugendstil. Symmetric ground-plan with eperate parts for boys and girls.

 

1911 Boxtel (NB): St. Ursula Convent

 

 

Convent designed in a combination of Jugendstil and traditional forms, with chapel in neo-Romanesque style.

 
1911-1912 Zegge (NB):  church H. Maria Boodschap

Cruciform basilica in neo-Gothic style. Tower damaged in WW2 and later rebuilt in simplified form.
 

1912 Mariaheide (NB): St. Nicolaashuis

Franciscan convent in sober neo-Gothic style.

 
1912-1915 Hank (NB): church O.L. Vrouw Onbevlekt Ontvangen

Cruciform basilica in neo-Gothic style. Largely destroyed in 1944; restored after the war with new transept and tower.
 

1913-1916 Maastricht (L): church St. Lambertus

 

 

 

 

Church in neo-Romanesque style, with two towers at the front and a dome in Baroque-style on the crossing. Built in WW1, mostly using Kunrader stone, but also parts of former fortifications and second rate building materials.

 
1914 Zeeland (NB): enlargement church H. Jacobus de Meerdere

Addition of a  transept to an older neo-Gothic church (1871, by C. van Dijk).
 

1916 Nieuwenhagen (L): church O.L. Vrouwe Hulp der Christenen

 

 

 

 

Three-aisled church in neo-Romanesque style. Two towers of different sizes. A steeple on the crossing was removed during repairs in 1954-1958.

 

1917-1918 Eindhoven (NB): church St. Antonius van Padua

 

 

 

 

Church in neo-Romanesque style, based on the St. Lawrence outside the Walls in Rome. Built using Kunraderstone. Now a museum.


1918 Maastricht (L): houses Volksplein 4-12

No further details.
 

1919-1920 Geulle (L): church St. Martinus

 

Transverse enlargement of an older church. Square on the old nave Van Groenendael builds a new one in neo-Romanesque style, made of natural stone. The medieval tower now stands at the side of the church while the 17th-century choir becomes a chapel.


1921-1923 Terwinselen (L): church O.L. Vrouwe Onbevlekt Ontvangen



 

 

 

Cruciform church in neo-Romanesque style with double transept and a tower at the side.

 

1921 De Rips (NB): church Margaretha Maria Alacoque

Small church in neo-Romanesque style, with two towers at the front. Demolished in 1971.

 

1922 Westerbeek (NB): church H. Hart

Modest church in sober late neo-Gothic style.

 
1923-1924 Eindhoven (NB): church St. Paulus

Cruciform basilican church in a combination of neo-Gothic and neo-Romanesque styles. Small crossing-tower. Demolished.

 

1924 Hoogeloon (NB): church St. Pancratius

 

 

 

Neo-Gothic cruciform basilican church with high transept, octagonal crossing-dome and five-sided choir closure.

 

1925-1926 Boxtel-Lennisheuvel (NB): church St. Theresia

 

 

 

 

Designed by or in conjunction with H.F.M. van Groenendael. 

 

1926-1927 Esch (NB): church St. Willibrordus

Cruciform church with neo-Byzantine influences, incorporating a 15th-century tower.

 

1925-1926 Bladel (NB): church St. Petrus' Banden

 

 

Cruciform church with a steeple at the crossing and two towers at the front, built in a mixture of Byzantine and neo-Gothic styles.


1926 Schin op Geul (L): new choir church St. Mauritius

Choir of kunraderstone for an older church.

1927-1928 Kerkrade-Kaalheide (L): church St. Josef


 

 

 

Three-aisled cruciform church in neo-Romanesque style, built of kunraderstone. Tower at the side of the front, with onion-shaped spire.

 
1928-1929 Moerdijk (NB): church St. Stephanus

Pseudo-basilica in neo-Romanesque style, with tower next to the front. Destroyed in 1944.

1929-1930 Stein (L): church St. Martinus

New nave and side-aisles replacing part of J. Kayser's church of 1884.
 

1931 Riel (NB): transept church St. Antonius Abt

New transept for an existing church.


1932 Weert-Boshoven (L): temporary church St. Oda

No further details. Served as a church until a new church was built in 1956 and served other purposes since.

1932 Weert-Keent (L): temporary church St. Joseph

No further details. Replaced by new church in 1939-1940 but not demolished.
 

1932-1934 Maastricht (L): church H. Theresia

 

Cruciform basilican church in Traditionalistic style, with freely interpreted Romanesque influences, executed in Kunrader stone. Tall tower at the back of the church, behind the transept and to the left of the choir. Two smaller towers flank the front facade. Designed in conjunction with J.H.H.'s son H.F.M. van Groenendael. In an earlier design the church had a tall tower at the front.


1934-1935 Meerlo (L): church St. Johannes de Doper

Three-aisled cruciform church in neo-Gothic style. Rose-window added to the facade in 1947, tower added by H.F.M. van Groenendael in 1954.
 

Back to Architects