Click here to go to the main page

Valkenburg aan de Geul municipality / Gemeente Valkenburg aan de Geul (L)

Municipality in the south of the province of Limburg, consisting of the town of Valkenburg and the villages Broekhem, Houthem-St. Gerlach, Geulhem, Berg, Terblijt, Vilt, Sibbe, IJzeren, Walem, Oud-Valkenburg en Schin op Geul. This page shows churches in Valkenburg as well as some of the villages. 

Gemeente in het zuiden van de provincie Limburg, bestaande uit de stad Valkenburg en de dorpen Broekhem, Houthem-St. Gerlach, Geulhem, Berg, Terblijt, Vilt, Sibbe, IJzeren, Walem, Oud-Valkenburg en Schin op Geul. Deze pagina toont kerken in Valkenburg evenals enkele van de dorpen. 

 

Valkenburg

 

The H.H. Nicolaas en Barbara is Valkenburg's oldest church, but of the original 14th-century church very little still remains. Only the tower and part of the nave are really old. P.J.H. Cuypers drastically extended the building in 1904. 

Location: Kerkstraat 18

De H.H. Nicolaas en Barbara is de oudste kerk van Valkenburg, hoewel nog maar weinig resteert van de oorspronkelijke 14e-eeuwse kerk. Alleen de toren en een deel van het schip zijn echt oud. P.J.H. Cuypers breidde het gebouw drastisch uit in 1904. 

Locatie: Kerkstraat 18

 

 

In 1836-1837, shortly after the Valkenburg public cemetery was founded, the cemetery chapel was built, a small building in Neo-Classical style, made out of marl.

Location: Cauberg

In 1836-1837, kort nadat de Algemene Begraafplaats was aangelegd, werd de kerkhofkapel gebouwd, een klein gebouw in neoclassicistische stijl, gebouwd van mergel.

Locatie: Cauberg

 
 

 

The former protestant church is a small building in an Eclectic style, built in 1891. The architect is unknown but is often believed to be P.J.H. Cuypers. It's now a restaurant.

Location: Plenkertstraat 45

De voormalige protestantse kerk is een klein gebouw in een eclectische stijl, gebouwd in 1891. De architect is onbekend, maar het ontwerp wordt vaak toegeschreven aan P.J.H. Cuypers. Het is nu een restaurant.

Locatie: Plenkertstraat 45

 

P.J.H. Cuypers also designed the Grafkapel Habets, an octagonal chapel in Neo-Gothic style, built next to the a mausoleum for the Habets family. The whole ensemble was built in 1892 and is made out of marl.

Location: Cauberg

P.J.H. Cuypers ontwierp ook de Grafkapel Habets, een achtzijdige kapel in neogotische stijl, gebouwd naast het familiegraf van de familie Habets. Het geheel verrees in 1892 en is gebouwd uit mergel.

Locatie: Cauberg

 

 

 

Marl was also used for the more modern O.L. Vrouw van Altijddurende Bijstand designed by Th. Boosten, son of A.J.N. Boosten. The church was built in 1960-1961.

Location: St. Pieterstraat 1

Mergel werd ook toegepast bij de veel modernere O.L. Vrouw van Altijddurende Bijstand die werd ontworpen door Th. Boosten, de zoon van A.J.N. Boosten. De kerk werd gebouwd in in 1960-1961.

Location: St. Pieterstraat 1

 

 

Broekhem


 

The St. Jozef is the church of the village of Broekhem. It was designed by A.J.N. Boosten and built in 1929-1931. The church was entirely built of marl.

Location: Koningswinkelstraat 1 

De St. Jozef is de kerk van Broekhem buurt. Zij werd ontworpen door A.J.N. Boosten en is gebouwd in 1929-1931. De kerk was geheel gebouwd van mergel. 

Locatie: Koningswinkelstraat 1

 
Houthem-St. Gerlach

The Stift, a convent for noblewomen, was founded in the 13th century, but nothing remains of the original church. The Stiftskerk or St. Gerlachus dates from 1720-1727 and was built in German Baroque style. In 1808 it became the parish church.

Location: Onderstestraat 1

Het Stift, een klooster voor adelijke vrouwen, werd in de 13e eeuw gesticht maar van de oorspronkelijke kerk is niets bewaard gebleven. De Stiftskerk of St. Gerlachus dateert uit 1720-1727 en werd gebouwd in Duitse barokstijl. Sinds 1808 is zij parochiekerk.

Locatie: Onderstestraat 1


 

 
Until 1808 the St. Martinus was Houthem's parish church, but after in that year the Stiftskerk was handed to the parish it fell into decay, until little more than the choir, built in 1785, was left. In 1927 the church was rebuilt on the old foundations and became the chapel of a convent, currently an old people's home.

Location: Vroenhof 87

Tot 1808 was de St. Martinus de parochiekerk van Houthem, maar nadat in dat jaar de Stiftskerk aan de parochie werd toegewezen viel de oude kerk in verval, tot er weinig meer overbleef dan het koor, gebouwd in 1785. In 1927 werd de kerk herbouwd op de oude fundamenten en werd de kapel van het naastgelegen klooster, thans bejaardentehuis.

Locatie: Vroenhof 87

 

 

 

St. Gerlachus in de Eik is an open chapel in Neo-Classical style built in 1870.

Location: St.-Gerlachstraat

St. Gerlachus in de Eik is een open wegkapel in neoclassicistische stijl, gebouwd in 1870.

Location: St.-Gerlachstraat

 
Berg en Terblijt

The H.H. Monulphus en Gondulphus of Berg en Terblijt was designed by F.P.J. Peutz and W. Springer and dates from 1931-1933. It's illustrative for the sometimes thin line between Traditionalism and late Neo-Gothic.

Location: Rijksweg 73

De H.H. Monulphus en Gondulphus van Berg en Terblijt werd ontworpen door F.P.J. Peutz en W. Springer en dateert uit 1931-1933. De kerk is typerend voor de soms dunne scheidslijn tussen traditionalisme en late neogotiek.

Locatie: Rijksweg 73
 

 

Back to the Province of Limburg