Click here to go to the main page
Leeuwarden (Fr)
Leeuwarden, or Ljouwert as it's called in Frisian, is the capital and largest city of the province.
 
Leeuwarden, of Ljouwert zoals de Friese naam luidt, is de hoofdstad en grootste stad van de provincie.
 

 

The Oldehove is a Gothic tower built from 1529 until 1532 for the church of St. Vitus. Already when the tower had reached a height of ten metres it started sagging. Construction was continued by building straight on the leaning lower part. As sagging continued work was stopped when the tower was 40 metres tall. The old church was not replaced and has been demolished long since.

Location: Oldehoofsterkerkhof 1

De Oldehove is een gotische toren die van 1529 tot 1532 werd gebouwd voor de St. Vituskerk. Al toen de toren pas een hoogte van tien meter had bereikt, begon hij scheef te zakken. De bouw werd voortgezet door op het scheve onderste gedeelte recht verder te bouwen. Omdat de verzakking doorging werden de werkzaamheden gestopt toen de toren 40 meter hoog was. De oude kerk werd niet vervangen en is lang geleden gesloopt.

Locatie: Oldehoofsterkerkhof 1

 

The Jacobijnerkerk, also known as Grote Kerk ('great church') was built in the 13th century as the church of the Dominican monastery. In the 15th century the church was extended. After the Reformation the monastery was closed and the church became a protestant one. The choir became a mausoleum for the Frisian branch of the (Oranje-)Nassau family.

Location: Jacobijnerkerkhof 95

De Jacobijnerkerk, ook bekend als Grote Kerk, werd gebouwd in de 13de eeuw als de kerk van het dominicanenklooster. In de 15e eeuw werd de kerk uitgebreid. Na de Reformatie werd het klooster gesloten en werd de kerk protestants. Het koor werd de grafkelder voor de Friese tak van de familie (Oranje-) Nassau

Locatie: Jacobijnerkerkhof 95

 

 

The Neo-Gothic St. Bonifatius was built in 1882-1884. Although catholics in Leeuwarden formed a minority, their number was large enough to justify the construction of a second church, the first being the St. Dominicus. P.J.H. Cuypers designed the new church, which is considered to be one of his best.

Location: Bonifatiusplein 20

De neogotische St. Bonifatius werd gebouwd in 1882-1884. Hoewel de katholieken in Leeuwarden een minderheid vormden, was hun aantal root genoeg om de bouw van een tweede kerk, de eerste was de St. Dominicus, te rechtvaardigen. P.J..H Cuypers ontwierp de nieuwe kerk, die als een van zijn beste wordt beschouwd.

Locatie: Bonifatiusplein 20

 

 

The Walloon church until 1580 had been the chapel of the Dominican convent, after which it was used as a church by French speaking members of the Nassau court. The church kept its name after 1888, when the Walloon community was disbanded. It's now a Remonstrant church.

Location: Grote Kerkstraat 222

De Waalse kerk was tot 1580 de kapel van de Dominicaner klooster, daarna werd het gebouw als kerk gebruikt door de Franstalige protestante leden van de hofhouding van de Nassaus. De kerk behield haar naam ook nadat de Waalse gemeente in 1888 werd ontbonden. Het is nu een Remonstrantse kerk.

Locatie: Grote Kerkstraat 222

 

 

The former Westerkerk had been the chapel of the beguinage until 1580, when the protestant authorities closed it. In 1615 it became a theatre, a function that returned in 1992 under the name of Theater Romein, named after architect Thomas Romein who rebuilt the church in 1845 and also gave it its yellow coat.

Location: Bagijnestraat 59

De voormalige Westerkerk was tot 1580 de kapel van het begijnhof en werd toen door de protestantse autoriteiten, gesloten. In 1615 werd het een theater, een functie die het in 1992 terugkreeg onder de naam Theater Romein, een vernoeming naar architect Thomas Romein die de kerk in 1845 verbouwde en haar de gele kleur gaf.

Locatie: Bagijnestraat 59

 

 

Until 1832 the Mennonite church was hidden from direct view by a house. In 1631 this old protestant denomination built a wooden hidden church here without the permission of the Calvinists. This building was replaced by a stone church in 1680 which itself was rebuilt in 1760.

Location: Wirdumerdijk 18

Tot 1832 lag de Doopsgezinde kerk verborgen achter een huis,. In 1631 bouwde deze oude protestantse gemeente hier een houten schuilkerk, zonder de toestemming van de Calvinisten. Dit gebouw werd vervangen door een stenen kerk in 1680, die op haar beurt in 1760 werd verbouwd.

Locatie: Wirdumerdijk 18

 

 

The former synagogue was built in 1803-1805, and was extended in 1865 by architect F. Stoet, who added the current facade in neo-Classical style.

Location: Sacramentsstraat 19

De voormalige synagoge werd in 1803-1805 gebouwd en in 1865 uitgebreid door architect F. Stoet, die de huidige gevel in neoclassicistische stijl toevoegde.

Locatie: Sacramentsstraat 19

 


 

The former Christelijk Gereformeerde Kerk dates from 1911 and was designed in a style that shows influences of both neo-Renaissance and Rationalism. The church closed in 1986 and was later rebuilt into houses.

Location: Wijbrand de Geeststraat 20

De voormalige Christelijk Gereformeerde Kerk dateert uit 1911 en werd ontworpen in een stijl die invloeden vertoont van zowel neorenaissance en rationalisme. De kerk sloot in 1986 en is daarna omgebouwd tot woningen.

Locatie: Wijbrand de Geeststraat 20

 

The Koepelkerk (dome-church) dates from 1923 and was designed by architect Tj. Kuipers, one of the most important architects of churches for the Gereformeerden. It features a combination of styles, mostly Rationalism with elements of Romanesque and Expressionism.

Location: Vredeman de Vriesstraat 24A

De Koepelkerk dateert uit 1923 en werd ontworpen door architect Tj. Kuipers, eenvan de belangrijkste architecten van Gereformeerde kerken. De kerk kent een combinatie van stijlen, met name rationalisme met elementen van romaans en expressionisme. 

Locatie: Vredeman de Vriesstraat 24A 

 
Like the Koepelkerk, the Pelikaankerk was built for the Gereformeerden. It was built in 1929-1931 and was designed by architect E. Reitsma in a more moderate expressionist style than his previous churches.

Location: Pelikaanstraat 10

Net als de Koepelkerk werd de Pelikaankerk gebouwd voor de Gereformeerden. De kerk werd gebouwd in 1929-1931 en is ontworpen door architect E. Reitsma in een meer gematigde expressionistische stijl dan zijn eerdere kerken. 

Locatie: Pelikaanstraat 10

 


 

The St. Johannes de Doper was designed by H.P.J. de Vries in a Traditionalist style with some features in Expressionist style. It was built in 1932-1934. This former Roman Catholic church was closed in 2004.

Location: Huizumerlaan 23

De St. Johannes de Doper werd ontworpen door H.P.J. de Vries in een traditionalistische stijl met een aantal kenmerken van expressionisme. Ze werd gebouwd in 1932-1934. Deze voormalige rooms-katholieke kerk werd gesloten in 2004. 

Locatie: Huizumerlaan 23

 


 

 The St. Dominicus is another Roman Catholic church built in a combination of Traditionalist and Expressionist styles. It was built in 1935-1937 after a design by H.C.M. van Beers.

Location: Harlingerstraat 26

De St. Dominicus is een andere rooms-katholieke kerk die werd gebouwd in een combinatie van traditionalistische en expressionistische stijlen. Zij werd gebouwd in 1935-1937 naar een ontwerp van H.C.M. van Beers. 

Locatie: Harlingerstraat 26

 

 

Goutum

Part of the Leeuwarden municipality, and just south of the city, is the village of Goutum. The reformed church, in catholic days named St. Agnes, partly dates from the 11th or 12th century. In the 15th century the church was largely rebuilt. 

Location: Buorren 23 

Onderdeel van de gemeente Leeuwarden, en gelegen net ten zuiden van de stad, is het dorp Goutum. De hervormde kerk, in katholieke tijden St. Agnes genaamd, dateert deels uit de 11e of 12e eeuw. In de 15e eeuw werd de kerk grotendeels herbouwd. 

Locatie: Buorren 23

 

 
Back to the Province of Fryslân